| || |
Speech and Hearing Sciences
University of North
Participants: || 80 |
| Type of
Study: || discourse |
Location: || USA |
type: || audio |
| DOI: || doi:10.21415/T5BC80 |
In accordance with TalkBank rules, any use of data from
this corpus must be accompanied by at least one corpus
reference. If no corpus specific reference is given, please
use the basic AphasiaBank reference:
MacWhinney, B., Fromm, D., Forbes, M. & Holland, A. (2011). AphasiaBank:
Methods for studying discourse. Aphasiology,
These are non-protocol, audio, elicited discourse data for
close to 80 people, 2/3 of whom have aphasia. Approximately
half of those with aphasia are African American and half
Most of the media files include a wide variety of
discourse tasks, an ethnographic semi-structured interview,
and the WAB. Discourse tasks are divided into two main
types, picture descriptions and personal and non-personal
narratives told in different formats.
- Picture Description: The participant is asked to describe the picture.
- Picnic = WAB picnic scene
- Cookie = cookie theft picture
- Picture Description and Narrative: The participant is asked to describe the picture and then tell a story about it.
- Dog = Road Block by Norman Rockwell
- Easter = Easter Morning by Norman Rockwell
- Flood = Flood Water Rescue by Annie Wells
- Picture Narrative: The participant is asked to tell a story about the picture.
- Apples = apple theft picture
- Cat = cat in tree picture
- Narrative Retell: The investigator tells a story to the participant, and the participant is asked to give a synopsis for the story, retell the story, and then recount the story’s lesson or main point.
- Farmer = A farmer on his deathbed tries to teach a lesson to his sons about the meaning of treasure.
- Starfish = A man walking on the beach tries to teach a boy that all life has value, even a single starfish.
- Partial Narrative Completion: The investigator tells the first part of a story to the participant, and the participant is asked to complete the story and then recount the story’s lesson or main point.
- Lightning = A woman does not want to leave her home to move closer to her son, and then a strong storm comes…
- Personal Narrative: The investigator asks the participant to provide a synopsis, story, and lesson or main point for each personal narrative topic.
- Frightening_Experience = The participant is asked to recount a frightening experience.
- Frequently_Told = The participant is asked to tell a frequently told story.
- Significant_Other = The participant is asked to recount meeting a spouse or significant other.
- Recently_Told = The participant is asked to tell a recently told story.
- Unusual_Experience = The participant is asked to recount an out of the ordinary event.
Demographic and test result data are available here.
Participants all gave consent for the demographic and
test data to be uploaded onto AphasiaBank, as long as access
is password protected and users of the data get approval from
Dr. Olness for access.
Please write to Gloria.Olness@unt.edu if you are
interested in accessing these files.
Acknowledgements Lillian Jarold and Anthony Kelly
reformatted this corpus into accord with current versions of