This page provides materials for conducting discourse analysis on AphasiaBank materials. It also provides some results of analyses that have been conducted on AphasiaBank transcripts We are grateful to those investigators who have shared their work.
Some basic approaches to discourse analysis:
Main Concept Analyses -- guidelines for AphasiaBank protocol tasks:
- Broken Window -- picture description -- Richardson & Dalton, 2015
- Cat in the Tree -- picture description -- Hameister & Nickels, 2018
- Cat in the Tree -- picture description -- Tanaka, Branch, Dalton, & Richardson, 2016
- Refused Umbrella -- picture description -- Tanaka, Branch, Dalton, & Richardson, 2016
- Cinderella -- story -- Richardson & Dalton, 2015
- Sandwich Task -- procedural discourse -- Richardson & Dalton, 2015
Some literature discussing these issues includes:
To calculate CIUs using CHAT and CLAN, consider these techniques:
Discourse analysis results from AphasiaBank transcripts
- Fergatiotis2018 -- The Excel spreadsheet includes the following data for 118 PWA, as described in Fergadiotis, Kapantzoglou, Kintz, and Harris (2018): CIUs and Total Number of Words for Free Speech, Cinderella, and Refused Umbrella portions of the AphasiaBank standard discourse protocol; scores from the BNT, WAB-R Object Naming subtest, and VNT.